Labiaplasty Miami has become an empowering experience for many women in South Florida and throughout the nation. This procedure once considered a taboo surgery is now widely used by many patients who wish to correct an elongated labia or deformed labial skin. At Avana Plastic Surgery we understand that choosing labiaplasty Miami is a personal decision yet we encourage women contemplating this cosmetic surgery to ask for advice and guidance on their labiaplasty Miami options.
When researching in the aesthetic surgery market, you will find out many cosmetic surgeons offer labiaplasty, but the majority of them don’t specialize in this procedure. We are fortunate to have a surgeon in our team of doctors with almost two decades of experience in labiaplasty and other vaginal rejuvenation procedures. Dr. Giselle Ghurani’s training and expertise will achieve the desired outcome. Read on, to find out what labiaplasty Miami can do for you, what to expect during labiaplasty recovery, risks, side effects, cost, and how talking to a plastic surgeon about your concerns can help you move forward in the right direction.
Who is a good candidate for labiaplasty surgery?
Women from all backgrounds seek labiaplasty surgery for many reasons, especially those whose childbearing years have transformed the way their bodies look and feel. Patients who fall into these categories are great candidates for this procedure:
- The labial tissue has become stretched out after vaginal delivery
- The vulvar lips sagged as a consequence of lower levels of collagen and elastin following menopause
- Women born with excess labial tissue
- Women experiencing irritation and discomfort during exercise and intercourse
- Patients who wish to enhance the appearance of their genitalia, so it looks as youthful as they feel
- Women suffering from low self-esteem and other psychological issues due to the appearance of their labia
- Women that want more sensation during intercourse
- Patients having difficulty keeping adequate hygiene
The major advantages associated with labiaplasty include:
- Improve aesthetics - The dark pigmented and loose tissues are targeted and partly removed to create a smoother contour that doesn’t cause as much friction. The labia majora and excess skin around the clitoral hood can be trimmed as well.
- More freedom in choosing clothing and swimwear. It is common for patients that have enlarged inner and outer vaginal lips to complain about wearing tight-fitting clothing as it puts pressure in the area resulting in rashes, and other concerns. Patients can alleviate this friction after undergoing labiaplasty.
- More sexual confidence and satisfaction as the area improves in looks and functionality. This is particularly true for women who had multiple childbirths and whose vaginal lips have become elongated as a result. The removal of unnecessary tissue may help enhance a women’s ability to experience more pleasure during intercourse. Research by PubMed demonstrates that patients can experience significant sexual satisfaction after undergoing labiaplasty.
- Some women report improved self-esteem after the labiaplasty procedure.
Labiaplasty Miami cost
Labiaplasty Miami cost generally includes anesthesia fees, facility fees, and surgeon fees. Some patients have a labia majora reduction, labia minora reduction, or both at the same time, which can be more economical. Labia menorah or majora reduction can cost $3,500 to $5,000 according to doctor’s reports in RealSelf.
Labiaplasty Surgery in Miami
Contact a Labiaplasty surgeon today
It is essential to evaluate the surgical skills of the labiaplasty surgeon explicitly relating to labiaplasty. According to the Consumer Guide to Plastic Surgery, there are no particular licensing requirements or educational courses required by the American Board of Plastic Surgeons to perform this procedure. So you must verify your surgeon’s skill and experience. A board-certified gynecologist or urologist will do. Call today to schedule a labiaplasty consultation with Dr. Giselle Ghurani.
Labiaplasty aims at reducing and reshaping the inner vaginal lips. However, the structure of the vagina can differ from patient to patient. Also, life events such as childbirth and aging can have a significant impact on the appearance of the genitalia. For this reasons, every woman may be benefited from this procedure differently.
Patients who seek this procedure should not be ashamed to request assistance with any issue related to this type of surgery and should understand the actual results they can expect from labiaplasty. The reasons to undergo labiaplasty surgery can be discussed with your surgeon during your initial consultation to better determine candidacy.
What to expect during your labiaplasty consultation?
Your initial consultation at Avana Plastic Surgery is a good time to bring up any questions or concerns you may have, get to know your surgeon, and determine whether you are an excellent candidate for this procedure. The first thing to keep in mind when you attend your labiaplasty consultation is that your condition is not abnormal. It’s part of your anatomy. Some women are born this way while others suffer an enlargement in the area after vaginal delivery.
You should focus on discussing what bothers you so the surgeon can address it. Ask as many questions as needed so you can make an informed decision. Your surgeon will examine your genital area to determine what procedure is more effective. Since you are expected to remove your clothes from the waist down, it is advised you wear loose fit clothing. After the examination, the doctor will have a good understanding of your needs and will be able to tell you the best surgical approach.
There are two variations of labiaplasty, the trim and the wedge method, based on the patient’s goals. The trim method involves eliminating the outer edge of the labia to reduce it. The pigmented border can be partially or completed removed yet a small cuff of labia 7 to 8 mm is left. The trim method is closed very precisely to avoid unevenness. The wedge method preserves the labia’s natural border with the hyperpigmented border.
An internal wedge of the tissue is removed to help reduce the labia’s size with the benefit of the natural border being preserved. The clitoral hood can be reduced if desired based on the amount of laxity. This procedure takes about 1 hour to be performed. Liposuction can also be utilized in this region to achieve a slimmer pubic region after puberty or weight gain. Some women have fatty deposits in the pubic region they wish to eliminate, which can be embarrassing when seen through clothing.
You should expect the following during recovery:
- About 3-4 days at home to recover
- Your genitals will be swollen and tender for several weeks, but swelling should fade within six weeks of labiaplasty recovery
- Take pain medication as prescribed by your surgeon to alleviate discomfort after labia reduction surgery as well as antibiotics to prevent infection
- Clean the incision site properly with hydrogen peroxide and apply antibiotic cream or ointment
- Shower the day following surgery
- Stitches should dissolve two weeks after surgery
- Don’t use tampons for ten days after surgery
- Avoid intercourse for about one month
- The final labiaplasty results should be seen after six months of labiaplasty recovery
Labia reduction surgery risks and side effects
Like any surgery there are several labiaplasty side effects and risks:
- Temporary numbness
- A decrease in sensation of the labia after labial reduction
- The labia may heal in a way that results in asymmetry
- An increase or decrease in sensation
- Pigmentation changes
- Sexual dysfunction
Is Labiaplasty covered by insurance?
Labiaplasty is typically classified as an elective procedure just like any other cosmetic surgery. Therefore, the insurances don’t cover it. When labial reduction is considered medically necessary because it causes discomfort, it might be covered partially or entirely by the insurance carrier. Before your procedure, we will check your benefits to determine insurance coverage versus in-office prices. Affordable medical finance options may be available.
As with any surgical procedure, patients may experience numbness in the area after labiaplasty surgery until the skin and vaginal lips are completed healed. Labia rejuvenation should affect the vaginal lips only, and sensitivity is by the clitoris. A skilled labiaplasty surgeon will make sure to work around this area to maintain sensitivity.
Surgeons advise women wait until their pregnancies are completed. However, if enlarged labia is causing physical discomfort, and emotional issues, patients can schedule this surgery at any time before planned pregnancy. If childbirth alters the labiaplasty results, a touch-up procedure can be scheduled.
The best technique is the one that goes in line with your needs and frame. The labiaplasty trim method involves a continuous incision along the labia’s edge while the wedge method produces a shorter scar across the labia. The wedge technique can tighten the whole labia, but this method is more complex. Surgeons specializing in labiaplasty choose both methods.
Other procedures such as clitoral hood reduction and vaginoplasty can be combined with this procedure to achieve results that are more satisfying. Each procedure aims at correcting some specific areas in the genitalia.
Since there are only a few plastic surgeons qualified to perform this procedure, some patients may choose to travel. Such patients generally have their initial labiaplasty consultation over the phone with photos of the areas that need treatment.
During labiaplasty, the surgeon will reduce the vaginal lips to the desired size with either tiny scissors or scalpel to sculpt the labia. The incision location is based on individual factors such as the structure and texture of the area. The suture is then closed with absorbable stitches.
A labiaplasty surgeon with skill and experience will make sure that scarring is barely noticeable. As with every surgery, this procedure will leave scaring, but it will be minimal since the incisions are very small.
This procedure can be performed with local anesthesia or twilight sedation. We will discuss your options during your initial labiaplasty consultation with our plastic surgeon.
Most patients report problems before, not after surgery. While it is possible, labiaplasty should not cause sensitivity in the area.
Patients are advised to avoid strenuous exercises or activity during the first six weeks of labiaplasty recovery. It’s possible that some patients may need to wait longer.
Patients can resume sexual activity in six to eight weeks after surgery. Having an unusual sensation at first is natural. However, if it doesn’t feel right, wait until you have fully recovered.